Since ELDs are part of your operation costs now, you should look for ELDs that:
- follow the ELD and HOS regulation from FMCSA if you are in the US, and Transport Canada if you are in Canada, or both if you work in both nations,
- keep up with regulation changes or updates,
- function well with a proven low failure rate,
- have been in the industry for more than 5 years,
- know the motor carrier industry almost as well as you know it,
- can offer you all the functionality that you need,
- can grow to meet the needs of your growing company,
- offer support and good customer service,
- have competitive pricing and no hidden fees,
- do not lock you up into long term contracts,
If an ELD vendor can offer you an unbelievable price, beware that there might be a catch, and it might end up costing you more than you bargained for.
When it comes to IFTA compliance or any distance compliance, look for an ELD with a properly functioning GPS that is accurate, provides you with a miles-per-state report, and can sync with your truck’s odometer reading – on top of your HOS functionality. The smarter the engineering behind the ELD device, the less problems you will have with functionality and security.
With all the technology that has entered our motor carrier and trucking industry, keep in mind how to do more with less. That is, more tasks with less hands involved, more successful results with less resources, and of course do more with less money.
At eTrucks we have integrated with one of the best ELD vendors from North America which has all the functionality you need and more. With our integration you no longer have to do any manual tasks to keep track of your miles per state and distance compliance for IFTA, IRP, any Weight Distance KY, NM, NY, OR, and Canadian Carbon Tax. We have automated the mileage reporting from our ELD option to our IFTA compliance program.